Rotation Reflection

My pediatric rotation was located at Queens Hospital Center. This was one rotation I was particularly apprehensive about, as our education, with the exception of one course over a year ago, is entirely based on adult medicine. For the first 3 weeks, I saw patients in the pediatric emergency department. I was able to see and treat many patients from ages 0-21, with a variety of medical and psychiatric conditions. Each day, I was scheduled with a different provider who allowed me to see patients on my own first, and then present the case to them before they conducted their own physical exam. The provider and I then discussed our assessments and plans and made changes to mine as needed. Because this rotation began right at the start of the school year, the most common illnesses I saw were an array of viral diseases, including COVID, RSV, human metapneumovirus, and rhinovirus. Additionally, I saw disease states including STIs, allergic reactions, cryptorchidism, and otitis infection. 

My fourth week was in the NICU. I was able to help treat many patients who were premature (as young as 22 weeks), and had congenital heart conditions, pulmonary issues, fever, and genetic conditions. The team I was assigned to also was in charge of the newborn examinations in labor and delivery. Because I have not had my OBGYN rotation yet, this was my first time being exposed to the L&D floor, along with the operating room, which helped prepare me for what was to come later this year. In the NICU I was able to assist my attending with inserting an umbilical venous line to help with the feeding of the neonate, as well as assisting in setting up phototherapy, incubators, and ventilating assistance devices for some of the other patients already admitted. Because this area is such a specific and vulnerable area of medicine, it is very difficult to receive hands-on training. I appreciate that the attendings allowed me to assist with their direct supervision.

The final week of the rotation was spent in the pediatric clinic, where each day I was assigned to a different provider in a different medical specialty. These included primary care, genetics, cardiology, endocrinology, adolescent primary care, pulmonology, and neurology. It was a great experience being able to see a wide variety of patients with many conditions. Overall, I found myself enjoying all aspects of this rotation, so much so that I can see myself taking a job that involves pediatrics once out of school. The preceptors, especially in the emergency department were all dedicated to helping me learn and would take some of the downtime we had each shift to give me a lesson on something that we had seen.